July 30, 2019
This monthly updates highlights the latest TechTown news and progress in our top areas of focus: Recruitment, Retention and Measurement.
1. We completed our 2nd and 3rd Recruitment & Pipeline Programming focused events of 2019 in the same week.
The 2 events were partnerships with Black Male Achievement and Say Hey for Interns:
On July 25th, we partnered with Black Male Achievement to host a panel discussion about experience and opportunities within the technology industry. The panel included 4 TechTown Pledge Company employees:
With over 30 attendees, the panel discussed and answered questions about their experience in the workplace and how they have applied their different skills to find opportunities within the tech industry.
Special thanks to AWS Elemental for hosting and taking a leadership role in this programming event.
On July 23rd, TechTown tabled at Partners in Diversity Say Hey for Interns event. This was TechTown’s second year participating in this great event hosted by W+K. The event featured over 200 interns from across Portland’s business community.
2. Launch of the 2019 Survey. The TechTown Employee Survey is underway and it promises to be the most comprehensive one yet. In addition to the employee questions, TechTown is adding a company-level assessment to the survey. Combining these two tools will help identify if there are characteristics that are correlated to positive diversity and work environment outcomes. TechTown plans to share results before the end of the calendar year.
3. We hosted our Monthly Morning Session at Prosper Portland on July 24th with TechTown Pledge Company employees. After some time to connect and review TechTown news, the group broke into smaller groups to discuss equity, diversity and inclusion goal setting. Participants shared the status of their Pledge Company’s TechTown goals, how they can impact goal setting and execution, and the next steps.
4. ClearlyRated joined the TechTown Diversity & Inclusion Pledge. In addition to expanding our community partnerships and programming, we are also growing our community of committed technology companies. We are excited for what ClearlyRated will bring to our community and the positive impact TechTown can have within the ClearlyRated organization.
5. Zapproved partnered with fellow TechTown Pledge Company, Simple on a Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Lunch Series. Zapproved welcomed author Anastacia-Renee Tolbert for her interactive talk, Taking Action as an Ally. Not only was the room at Zapproved at capacity but many at Simple participated in the conversation via Zoom’s video technology.
About TechTown Portland
A movement, commitment and community.
TechTownPDX is a collection of Portland tech companies who have come together to commit to a Diversity Pledge – a shared commitment and action plan to collectively advance workplace diversity and inclusion in order to grow the industry while broadening prosperity.
Our mission is to create a community to cultivate a diverse, homegrown talent pipeline and inclusive work environment.
About Prosper Portland
TechTown is powered by Prosper Portland. Prosper Portland creates economic growth and opportunity for Portland. Prosper Portland’s vision is to make Portland one of the most globally competitive, healthy, and equitable cities in the world by investing in job creation, encouraging broad economic prosperity, and fostering great places throughout the city. We aspire to be a workplace of choice with passionate staff excelling in an open and empowering environment and sharing a commitment to our collective success.
Portland tech companies have joined the Diversity & Inclusion Pledge since its initial launch in 2015.